How to Manage Stress & Heal Adrenal Fatigue
At the beginning of my journey, I did what all of us are taught to do. I called my family doctor. He had no idea what was wrong with me so he sent me to do every test imaginable. They tested my heart, my head, my eyes, my ears, my blood, my stomach, etc. It was an endless journey and mostly pointless.
The most I was offered was:
1. Pill to manage vertigo that would put me to sleep and was of absolutely no help to me
2. Pill for insomnia that left me more tired after sleeping that no sleep
3. Pill for pain that was highly addictive I was unwilling to take
4. High dose of Advil that gave me a bad allergic reaction - (yes my family doctor told me to take 3 - 4 Advil at once for pain - apparently it was no big deal)
Are you noticing the trend here?
I have a lot of respect for Western Medicine. They've created some incredible diagnostic tools and even some unbelievable medicine like insulin. But if your doctor cannot tell you what is happening with you and why you feel so sick, perhaps it's time you explore other options.
Because if you mention adrenal fatigue to them, they will almost laugh in your face. And why is that? Because that's the only thing they cannot heal with pharmaceuticals. It has to heal naturally.
The day I realized that my family doctor, or the Western Medical system, had no idea what was wrong with me and that they'd kill me before they cure me I decided to take matters into my own hands and search for a doctor of natural medicine. In my search I've seen many different practitioners, I tried many therapies and remedies they offered. Some worked better than others but most of them had an element missing. I was unable to reach a place where I was fully healed until I started healing my body, mind and soul, found a remarkable group of homepathic doctors - who create remedies just for you, worked on healing my energy and my mind and starting getting to the root cause of it all.
The Magic Combination
It should be noted that each of these elements works in synergy with each other and each element brings healing aspects for the body, mind and soul. I will however break them down into the 3 sections.
If you are already feeling some or all of the symptoms of Adrenal Fatigue or burnout it is important to recognize that healing the body is the first step. This requires not only a drastic lifestyle change, it also requires a mindset shift where we start looking at the body as a whole and not a sum of different parts.
From my personal experience, and from my detailed conversation with doctor of homopathic medicine Nanette Basic - these are the essentials to healing the adrenals.
1. Homepathic Remedy - a meridian testing is an incredibly important part of the process. Through the testing you can find out exactly what parts of the body are out of balance, what vitamin levels are low, what organs are not functioning at optimal levels, what allergies you may have, what your body is depleted of. But every clinic is not the same. It isn't enough to just test, the real magic is in the remedy that is created and this is where most practitioners differ.
This is also why I wholeheartedly recommend Dr. Nanette Basic . She specializes not only in homepathic practices but also in holistic nutrition. Dr. Basic is compassionate and extremely knowledgeable and she cares and wants you to get better. That is her only goal. The remedies created a personalized to you and your needs.
What is Homeopathy and how does it work?
Homeopathic care is individualized and involves assessing an individual’s body system disorders. Taken into account is the person as a whole; the physical, emotional and mental symptoms. Specific homeopathic interview methods are used, then homeopathic remedies are prescribed to stimulate, maintain or restore health. Homeopathy is used to treat acute conditions such as the common cold or a sprained ankle as well as chronic and long standing conditions such as anxiety and depression, digestive issues, hormonal imbalances and eczema to name a few. Homeopathy is safe and a natural system of healing that will assist your own body to clear itself of any imbalance, restoring itself and improving your overall health. All in all Homeopathy works by stimulating your body's own healing power.
2. Supplements - There are a number of vitamins & minerals that our body is no longer able to obtain through nutrition (and why is a story for another time) so it's important to add the right supplements to our daily diet in order to achieve optimal body function. Most of these supplements are something that all of us should be taking daily. If you aren't healing your adrenals you should be taking them for maintenance and prevention.
Iron - Helps to preserve many vital functions in the body, including general energy and focus, gastrointestinal processes, the immune system, and the regulation of body temperature. The benefits of iron often go unnoticed until a person is not getting enough.
Magnesium - Magnesium is needed for more than 300 biochemical reactions in the body. It helps to maintain normal nerve and muscle function, supports a healthy immune system, keeps the heartbeat steady, and helps bones remain strong. It also helps adjust blood glucose levels. It aids in the production of energy and protein.
Vitamin C - also known as ascorbic acid, is necessary for the growth, development and repair of all body tissues. It's involved in many body functions, including formation of collagen, absorption of iron, the immune system, wound healing, and the maintenance of cartilage, bones, and teeth
Vitamin D - getting a sufficient amount of vitamin D is important for normal growth and development of bones and teeth, as well as improved resistance against certain diseases. It helps regulate the immune system and the neuromuscular system. Vitamin D also plays major roles in the life cycle of human cells. It is so important that our body makes it by itself -- but only after skin exposure to sufficient sunlight.
Vitamin Bs - B vitamins play a vital role in maintaining good health and well-being. As the building blocks of a healthy body, B vitamins have a direct impact on our energy levels, brain function, and cell metabolism. B complex helps prevent infections and helps support or promote cell health.
The actual physical symptoms of Adrenal Fatigue are a result of our inability to manage stress. They are a manifestation of a bigger problem, a problem that started long before any of the symptoms started appearing. And this is where The Mind comes in. Our mental health is just as important as our physical health. We often ignore until we reach a point where we can no longer deny that our mind is powerful and extremely important factor. It's our mind that plays tricks on us and it's our mind that takes over and starts controlling us instead of us controlling it. How we handle stress starts in our mind, because it starts with how we perceive stress. If we take a mindful approach to stress and say: Stress happens and when it does I have a list of tools at my disposal to release it, manage it and calm my mind by fuelling it with mindful and positive thoughts - we are then taking a step toward wellness. But if we take a mindless approach to stress and allow it to lead us where it wants to go, mentally we become overwhelmed and fuelled by negative thoughts that are now leading us toward illness. Not only do we now have lack of control of our mental state, it slowly starts seeping into our emotional state where we become prone to impulse reactions and overly heightened emotional state. All these elements now are slowly starting to manifest into physical symptoms: headaches, insomnia, digestion issues, lowered immune system, fatigue, burnout. And the cycle continues.
The best ways to manage our mental well being:
1. Reiki & Energy Healing - Reiki is an energy healing modality that focuses on clearing, balancing and opening chakras (major energy field in the body located along the spine) and in the process removing energy blocks or energy stagnation in the body. These energetic blocks created in the body are what has the potential (if left in place) to turn into an illness. Reiki is an excellent tool that can be used to health physical, mental and emotional distress as well as connect us further to our self. A fantastic tool for stress reduction and relaxation, Reiki can be done in person or virtually. While the techniques differ slightly, the end result is the same.
2. Meditation - A practice where an individual uses a technique – such as mindfulness, or focusing the mind on a particular object, thought, or activity – to train attention and awareness, and achieve a mentally clear and emotionally calm and stable state. Many people associate meditation with state of complete physical calmness which may nor resonate with them. It's important to remember that meditation isn't about being still physically, it's about stilling the mind. This could be done through focused activity such was walking, drawing, crafts, etc.
When we find a way to clear the mental clutter, we ultimately release stress because we are no longer holding on to it. By creating mental clarity we can make sound decisions and be in control.
3. Aromatherapy / Essential Oils - A holistic healing treatment that uses natural plant extracts to promote health and well-being. Sometimes called essential oil therapy, it uses aromatic essential oils medicinally to improve the health of the body, mind, and spirit. There have been many clinical studies conducted that were very successful with the use of essential oils and it's effect on mental and emotional wellness. It's been shown that essential oils can in fact be calming and uplifting. They can positively affect our mental and emotional state and can play a huge role in helping to manage some of the symptoms we may be experiencing: insomnia, feeling down, mental fog, anxiety,etc. Our olfactory system (smelling apparatus) has a direct connection to the brain which is why inhaling a citrus aroma can instantly uplift us or inhaling lavander can bring us instant calm.
4. Power of Positive Thinking - Positive thoughts can actually create real value in our life and help us build long lasting skills that can change our internal and external world. This idea seems too good to be true, but happy, healthy and conscious people think about what they want and how to get it, most of the time. They believe in what they want and they become it - first energetically which then turned into physical. The idea is if I want to be healthy and I focus my mind on it, I will eat nutritious and balanced meals, I will exercise (for my body), I will find balance within myself, I will embody the very essence of a healthy person. By doing this - I become the healthy person I envisioned. With a positive mindset we create (what could be) life saving skills that we can tap into during times of hardship and stress.
You may be in a place in your life where a soul connection is not something you think about or even something that resonates with you. Regardless of what your stance is on this subject, our soul is very much a part of us. Just as we are a physical being we are also an energetic being. Our soul is an energetic entity, and while it isn't something that we can touch and feel or even see, it's something that we feel, something that we connect to and something that we simply are.
Our soul not only has a purpose it also raises our vibrational frequency when we are on the right path, and lowers it when we aren't. A low vibrational frequency is often associated with negative feelings or thoughts that bring our overall mental, emotional and physical being to feel 'down'.
So let's bring it back to our energetic body and it's importance. Our body is made up of 7 major chakras, and 21 minor chakras. Chakras are energy centers in the body that are placed in on various points on the spinal column which each chakra connecting to various organs and glands within the body. They are responsible for distributing the life force energy, which is also knows as Qi or Prana.
Healing the Soul is the last piece that completes the puzzle. Because we create energetic blocks in the body when we are in a low vibrational state. These energy blocks (if left in place) trigger mental & emotional blocks and eventually this manifests into a physical illness. It's important to note that the root cause of illness is usually connected to our soul and a part of self that is not yet healed. This is a part of us that carries self limiting beliefs, fears, traumas, pain, etc. This is a part of us that on a very subconscious level is responsible for every action we take.
Some of the ways that you can release energy blocks and heal the soul:
1. Reiki: Reiki has been known to not only be an excellent relaxation tool it's also an incredible tool that can very easily and effectively assist in getting to the root of oneself. Reiki works by healing layer by layer until you are able to see the root cause of the issues. In the process, it connect you to yourself and provides a profound knowledge, wisdom and inner peace. And of course healing.
2. Crystal Therapy: An alternative medicine technique that employs crystals and other stones as conduits for natural healing energy. A wonderful part of crystal therapy, as long as you have crystals, you can develop a connection to them and learn quick ways to protect and heal your own energy. Each chakra is connected to a corresponding crystal(s) and often a simple act of placing a crystal on a chakra can help move some of the energy. Crystals are also easy to carry around and incorporate into daily life. They offer support and often help you feel calmer, more grounded, optimistic and overall better.
3. Mantras & Affirmations: Mantras are repetitive sounds used to penetrate the depths of the unconscious mind and adjust the vibration of all aspects of your being. Mantras are vibrated through chanting aloud, mental practice, or by listening to them. Affirmations are positive statements that can help you to challenge and overcome self-sabotaging and negative thoughts. When you repeat them often, and believe in them, you can start to make positive changes. While both techniques are very similar, the main difference is affirmations are motivational whereas mantras are sacred. Either can be one word or a short phrase. Affirmations are specific statements that you can repeat anywhere and at any time. Mantras are a sacred utterance recited aloud or repeated internally during a spiritual practice.
The main idea behind both techniques is to help us shift our mindset and our energy from a place that no longer serves our highest good to a place that puts us on our right path. It can help us gain new perspectives, confidence, courage, let go of fear and step into our power.
In an effort to get your started on your healing journey as soon as possible, I have created a WELLNESS BOX FOR STRESS EASE & ADRENAL SUPPORT and included healing elements for the body, mind and soul. If you are ready to get started on your healing journey, or if you are interested in rewarding your body, mind and soul with this unique gift, find out more by clicking below.